Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

On Thursday 09 February 2017 17:51:00 GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> Lisi Reisz:
> > So let's start at the beginning.
>
> OK
>
> > What exactly does your sources.list currently say?
> > (/etc/apt/sources.list) Please copy and paste it.
>
> I deleted the headers ##### ...
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

Right, so if you wish to remain on Stretch, which I think you do, replace the
word testing with the name stretch in all 4 of those lines.  Then update -
however you do that in Synaptic.  Then carry on as normal.  I would do:
# aptitude update
# aptitude full-upgrade
if I were changing testing to Stretch right now.

And I should do it relatively soon, or at the moment Stretch becomes Stable
you will find yourself effectively on Sid!!!

Then you can change to bullseye when it suits you.  I personally never use the
names stable, testing, unstable.  I prefer codenames.  I want more control!!

> > You wish, I think, to go to/remain on Stretch?  But you refer to being on
> > Debian 7 which is Wheezy?  Are you talking about two different computers?
>
> Yes I used the 7 (wheezy) as an example later on, this one started life
> at 8.3 LXDE Amd64  The only mistake I think I made when I wrote the
> question, which may have confused some, was that I replaced main with
> testing instead of saying jessie to testing.

No, it was much more confusing than that!!

> > Please, some clarity if you want help.
>
> A while back I read somewhere to go from stable to testing I replace
> jessie with testing in the repos lines and I did and it worked.
>
> The Debian 7 pc stayed this way, I used it as an example that if I had
> switched it to testing on wheezy would I be in stretch now?  And I
> assume the answer would be yes unless I again misunderstand how it works.

Yes - but only if you had done it stage by stage.  If you do it now you will
have a mess on your hands!!  (Wheezy to Stretch bypassing Jessie.)  I think
however that you have now basically understood.

> Thanks,

Se parakalw.  I hope this is now OK.

Lisi