Re: HELP! Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/09/2017 12:13 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:

You shared your philosophy ("tear it all down and rebuild it from scratch
every two years")

I don't know where you got this. The OP was having one helluva time with a harddrive. I suggested that he create a partition to store his personal files "more safely" as /opt, when he did a partition, format and re-install to the new drive. After he could mount the failing drive and copy as many personal files as he could salvage to the new /opt/<username> install. Then, if the need arises, a re-install is relatively painless. I have never exposed wipe and re-install every two years. That would be stupid. The decision to upgrade is purely a personal one, driven either by choice or necessity.

and I shared mine ("keep everything unchanged until
you are forced to change it").

A dying harddrive will drive change, don't you think??

Neither one is right, and neither one
is wrong.  I just wanted both viewpoints to be equally represented.

"Viewpoints", as in politics, do not remedy a failing drive nor the rescue of it's contents. That was the reason the OP posted. Please keep his needs in mind. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html