Re: HELP! Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/09/2017 08:10 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 06:06:34PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
Careful there, I would not copy any of the /home/username/dot-files or
dot directories over, except like .mozilla and .thunderbird, so you
don't carry over some old and crufty setting that might have been
problematic.

I have the exact opposite philosophy.  My home directory has survived
across many, many different operating systems and computers.

How so?? Don't "many other operating systems" have different configuration files in many other locations?? I wouldn't expect BSD config files to migrate to Linux, or Windows to do anything useful.

If a
new version of some app breaks compatibility with a dot file, which
is rare, then I'll handle that on a case by case basis.

...and that is you. I suspect that in this case that the OP doesn't wish anything to jump up and bite his behind. And, you seem to be able to deal with things on a case by case level, but just maybe the OP cannot. Ergo, some discretion is in order ...unless you are willing to provide life support in person.

Otherwise,
I get to keep all of my comfortable settings.

True, true. But, we're now talking about your comfort level, with successful builds, and not his. Some empathy is always a good thing, especially when it comes to tech support advice. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html