Re: HELP! Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 12:03:18PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> How so?? Don't "many other operating systems" have different
> configuration files in many other locations?? I wouldn't expect BSD
> config files to migrate to Linux, or Windows to do anything useful.

When I shared my $HOME between OpenBSD and Debian for a time, I didn't
have many problems at all.  There are some shell functions that I only
created when $(uname -s) was Linux, but that's about it.

Most of the command-line tools that use dot-files in $HOME are the same.
Just stick with the older-common-denominator syntax in things like
~/.muttrc and and ~/.ssh/config and you should be fine.  (Hint: when
mixing Debian with other non-legacy Unixes, usually it'll be Debian that
has the older version of the tool.)

You shared your philosophy ("tear it all down and rebuild it from scratch
every two years") and I shared mine ("keep everything unchanged until
you are forced to change it").  Neither one is right, and neither one
is wrong.  I just wanted both viewpoints to be equally represented.