Re: HELP! Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/08/2017 04:38 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 02/08/2017 01:26 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 02/08/2017 02:37 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
How it went is not well.  I tested the new drive with SeagateTools and
it was fine.  Then I made a clonezilla live CD and booted from it.  It
stopped on the first read error with a message saying to restart using
the rescue option.  I did that.  After 5 hours it finished without
mentioning any errors.

I tried to boot to the old disk (since it was still wired that way).  I
got dropped int a maintenance shell with fs errors in /dev/sda4 which is
the physical volume for all my LVM logical volumes -- /usr, /var, /home
and /temp.  It says to run fsck manually.

I decided to try the new drive, so I changed the cables and re-booted.

Maintenance shell, again.

/ mounted clean

lvm started

/home fs has errors run fsck (at this point, I'm afraid to try it)

/var, /usr, and /tmp all say that the superblock can not be read, or is
invalid.  Try running

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

Which do I use?

How did trying to clone the disk nake such a mess of BOTH disks?

You cloned a mess, you got a perfect copy. I'd do a clean install to
the new drive, after formatting the entire drive. Once you boot into
that drive, mount the old drive. It should show up in /media/<username>
Then copy the directories of personal stuff you want to keep to a new
location on the new drive. I use cp -raf <source directory>
<destination> and everything, including sub-directories, file
ownership and file permissions are preserved. If a file is clunky, it
won't copy it and should proceed.

Next, if you are in your office, observe if the window is open. If
yes, throw the old drive out of it. :) Ric

Ric,

As soon as I finished my last post (above) I realized that what you
suggest is exactly what I should have done in the first place.  Why I
did not realize that earlier (and save myself a lot of headaches) I do
not know.  The system is now booting to the old drive, just as it did
before.  I think it just needed a good night's sleep.  I know that I did.

My next steps are:

    Format new drive

    Install fresh on new drive

    Mount and copy /home from old drive to new drive

Careful there, I would not copy any of the /home/username/dot-files or dot directories over, except like .mozilla and .thunderbird, so you don't carry over some old and crufty setting that might have been problematic. To spare you nightmares like this one, I use the /opt directory on a separate partition for all of my personal data. So, I use /opt/ric/Documents and in my brand-new /home/ric directory I delete the newly created Documents directory and then link (ln -s /opt/ric/Documents Documents) and do the same with the other familiar home directories like Videos, Music, Downloads, everything except Desktop. If something goes ape, systemk-wise, you can do a fresh install of / (root) directory and leave /opt alone. I've done this since the old Caldera days. Nary a burp in the barrel! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html