Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 01:38:58PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I had been trying as root (see above).  I do not have smartmontools
> currently installed.  If I remember correctly, that is only going to be
> useful if it was already installed so the daemon could be capturing data
> when the problem occurred.  Is that correct, or am I thinking of a different
> package?

Different package maybe. The HDDs themselves maintain the logs, smartctl merely
prints them. If you had it installed already, you might have local logs from it
that would tell you when a problem was first noticed, but that's about it.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.