Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/02/2017 10:23 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 02/02/17 13:05, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I apologize for this being so long, but since the problem occurs
sporadically I wanted to get as much information in this post as
possible because I don't know when it will happen again.

What operating system are you running? Please paste the following command into a root shell, run it, and then paste both the command and the output into your reply:

# cat /etc/debian_version; uname -a

root:/var/log# cat /etc/debian_version; uname -a
8.6
Linux quixote 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4 (2016-02-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Did you make any hardware, software, or configuration changes immediately prior to the initial event?
No.

What is the make and model of the disk drive(s) that are having problems?

       *-disk
             product: ST31000528AS
             vendor: Seagate
             physical id: 0.0.0
             bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/sda
             version: CC3E
             serial: 5VP9QSWJ
             size: 931GiB (1TB)
             capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=0000575f

Have you looked at the SMART reports? Please paste the following command into a root shell, run it once for each drive (replacing /dev/sdX with the corresponding device name), and paste both the command and the output into your reply:

# smartctl -x /dev/sdX
root:/var/log# smartctl -x /dev/sda

bash: smartctl: command not found

What package would this be in?

Have you downloaded and run the manufacturer diagnostic utilities for all your drives? What do they say?

David

p.s. here are the links for the Intel, Seagate, and Western Digital drive diagnostics. If your drive(s) are another brand, please find their tool and reply with the URL:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/ssd-software/intel-ssd-toolbox.html

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
I see download links for DOS and Windows, nothiong for Linux

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL