Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/02/2017 10:23 PM, David Christensen wrote:

Have you downloaded and run the manufacturer diagnostic utilities for all your drives? What do they say?

I have now downloaded and run Seagate's tools and it does show a does show a disk error. Since it stops on the first error I do not know if this is an isolated error, or a more systematic problem.

Automatic Write Reallocation Enable (AWRE) is on by default, but Automatic Read Reallocation Enable (ARRE) is off. If I set ARRE on and then run the long test (which reads all sectors sequentially), will that reallocate any bad sectors and mark them as such? Is this a safe thing to do?

Marc