Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 11:34:03PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> >Have you looked at the SMART reports?  Please paste the following command
> >into a root shell, run it once for each drive (replacing /dev/sdX with the
> >corresponding device name), and paste both the command and the output into
> >your reply:
> >
> ># smartctl -x /dev/sdX
> root:/var/log# smartctl -x /dev/sda
>
> bash: smartctl: command not found
>
> What package would this be in?

apt-file search smartctl

shows this is in package smartmontools (in Jessie, I assume same in
other flavours)

Also it is installed in /usr/sbin which a non-root user doesn't usually
have on their path, which implies it may have to be executed as root.
The # in the sample command line also implies that, but just in case it
wasn't obvious...

Mark