Re: Early boot became slower

Mattia Oss composed on 2017-01-28 18:14 (UTC+0100):

As you can see it uses simplefb and not vesafb. I'm quite sure that this
is the problem. As Sven Joachim pointed out, the Debian devs disabled
simplefb because it has problems with KMS framebuffer. Reading the link
he provided they disabled the X86_SYSFB and FB_SIMPLE options to fix
some bugs. I think there's no solution for me because these options are
not enabled in the Debian kernel anymore.. :/

Se either I use a custom kernel, or I keep my sweet fat characters with
the Debian kernel.

I'm having no luck distinguishing between any "sweet fat characters" and any others from those blurry videos. All I can do is guess is that the difference you see is more subtle than your description.

Over many many moons I've seen the init screens and framebuffer vttys use slightly different default fonts on some installations than on others, and I do prefer those I first saw used last century over those commonly seen more recently. I suppose simplefb and vesafb may indeed be using different 16x9 fonts, or maybe one or the other with 4.8 is using 16x8 instead of 16x9. When I boot stretch 4.8.x on host big41 here, I do see a subtle font switch around halfway through init, from a font I prefer, to one less liked. Capital "R" is a giveaway which I like or not, a very big upper loop on the not.

"Slow" boot on this big41 Intel 3.0GHz Core2Duo host is an understatement. Boot times have been in the 4-8 minute range in Stretch for several months, but it's not unique to Stretch, and it isn't insanely long on every kernel on every installed OS. It mostly seems random, on a per initrd basis, some OK, some not, and not has been a continuous string on Stretch at least back to 4.7 on 01 Oct.

Last Stretch 4.9 boot time was ~325 seconds. It's only ever happened on 64bit installations, and began only after various distros switched to using dracut for building initrds. I've mentioned these long boots, which can vary in extra length anywhere from under a minute to more than 13 minutes, in various threads going back over a year. Here are a few threads:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-initramfs/msg04173.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/initramfs@vger.kernel.org/msg04168.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kernel/2016-03/msg00024.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/