Re: Early boot became slower

Mattia Oss composed on 2017-01-27 01:34 (UTC+0100):

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 02:18:36PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

For the boot menu, or after?

To clarify I uploaded some videos (sorry for the crappy quality :/ )

You haven't answered my question.

linux-image-4.8.0-1-amd64:
https://goo.gl/TsXUBB

This was the last kernel with fast boot. In /etc/default/grub I had:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Since linux-image-4.8.0-2-amd64 the boot process is slower.
linux-image-4.9.0-1-amd64:
https://goo.gl/buOcpj

ok it's not that slow but I think the difference is quite visible.
I said that the problem may be the framebuffer (vesafb/simplefb) only
because this was the only big difference in the 2 dmesg. But it can be
anything.

This is what I used for the moment.
linux-image-4.9.0-1-amd64 with GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text:
https://goo.gl/16MJgc

None of those play for me. The resolution on the initial screens is so poor that I can't make out anything useful except to suggest to remove quiet the splash= parameter from the cmdline (or change it to splash=0) and see what happens without the graphical background or the output supression.

If after, what gfxchip do you have, maybe something other than NVidia,
AMD/ATI or Intel? Use 'lspci | grep VGA' or 'inxi -c0 -G' to report here.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X]

I don't have any AMD gfx that new around here. I have the same Intel gfx as you on my newest machine and no problem with any kernel going back all the way to when the machine was brand new going on two years ago.

Video= tells the kernel to use the specified mode for the KMS framebuffers.
Pick a mode that matches your display's native resolution to get the
smallest possible text.

If one of the above produce a result you like, you can reconfigure Grub to

I tried with video=1920x1080 but there's no difference.

On those initial video screens I see no evidence of any "huge" characters.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/