Re: Early boot became slower

Mattia Oss wrote:

> BUT, I made a progress. :)
> I installed linux-source-4.9 and compiled the kernel with the 4.8.0-1
> config. The result: it boots fast! :)

printk.time=1 as kernel param at boot would help you find out where it slows
down. It looks like something takes more time to initialize, might be
because in 4.8.0-2 it is a module. There were also some interesting stories
about inteldrmfb, but I can't recall - it might be related.

https://github.com/maistoast/share/blob/master/kernel/log/4.9.2/dmesg_4.9.2--bymattia

> As you can see it uses simplefb and not vesafb. I'm quite sure that this
> is the problem. As Sven Joachim pointed out, the Debian devs disabled
> simplefb because it has problems with KMS framebuffer. Reading the link
> he provided they disabled the X86_SYSFB and FB_SIMPLE options to fix
> some bugs. I think there's no solution for me because these options are
> not enabled in the Debian kernel anymore.. :/
>
> Se either I use a custom kernel, or I keep my sweet fat characters with
> the Debian kernel.

I prefer to build and keep custom kernel

regards