Re: The connections resets after some time.

Hi, Henrique.

On 28/01/17 11:40, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

>>> The cablemodem is 192.168.1.1, so the CMTS is 10.96.0.1. I've been

> 10.96.0.1 could be the CMTS, or it could be an aggregation router,
> depends on the CMTS being transparent or not to the IP L3.

Thanks for the observation.

>>> watching mtr for a few minutes waiting for the ssh connections to freeze
>>> and I've only seen that the hops from the cablemodem turn red when
>>> everything freezes. I'm going to do the test again by connecting
>>> directly via ethernet to ensure the results are reproducible.

>> I did the test again by connecting the notebook with a cable to the
>> TP-Link router (192.168.2.1). When the connections are dropped, all the

> Do it _directly_ connected to the cable modem, please.  And by that I
> also mean without any VMs, containers, virtual network devices, or NAT
> in the middle.

Yesterday I did another test connecting a PC with cable directly to the
cablemodem. The test was done with the PC without virtualization in the
middle. The result was similar to the previous ones.

https://ibin.co/3AOR4sbcReOc.png

When the hops all turn red, does that mean the cablemodem is not responding?

>> https://ibin.co/3ANVFzZi7BHg.png

> It does look like the cable-modem, but this is not yet certain.  And it
> could also be ethernet cabling or a switch (if you have one), etc.
> Basically anything between the test node (your laptop/computer) and the
> cable modem, *including* infrastructure.

With the previous test we discard any intermediate elements of the network.

> If you can do it at no cost, ask the ISP to replace that cable modem
> just in case.  These things *do* age, I had to replace three of them
> over the last 8 years.  One of them did not outright die, it would lose
> packets or connect at low bandwidth at the DOCSIS layer.

The last time I spoke with the Support area of the ISP was last Thursday
and they told me that from the Technology sector they asked to send a
technician to make a repair because they had checked the CMTS and they
did not find problems there. That was before doing these tests with MTR.

In the case it provides any additional information, the cablemodem is a
Cisco DPC3825. It does not seem to have SSH access. The only access I
see is via web and there I have not seen any log that can provide more
information than those already obtained with these tests.

Thanks for your reply and your time.

Kind regards,
Daniel