Stopping and starting multiple instances of pure-ftpd

I use pure-ftpd on my Jessie 8.6 (soon to be 8.7).

The Debian way of configuring pure-ftpd is a mechanism with a file for each parameter to the executable.

I do not use that mechanism, primarily because I want to run multiple instances of pure-ftpd with different parameters, listening on different IP addresses.

So I just start the server instances in rc.local instead. To avoid the automatic "Debian" start of pure-ftpd, I disabled that (long ago, when Jessie was 8.2) by running "insserv -r". That worked.

However, it turns out that whenever unattended-upgrades updates something that pure-ftpd depends on, it is able to stop my pure-ftpd servers - but it is of course not able to restart them, so I have to do that manually when I discover the problem. This is a little irritating - it happens in practice whenever openssl is upgraded.

Is there a reasonably simple way to achieve what I want (multiple server instances that can be stopped and started by unattended-upgrades)?

Or can I at least inhibit the stopping of those processes, so they will continue with the old openssl? (I do not use the SSL features of pure-ftpd at all.)

If I end up deciding to make do with just one instance after all, so I can use the Debian configuration mechanism, can I undo that "insserv -r" simply by running "insserv" again without "-r"? (I am rather new to Debian, and the mysteries of service configuration with or without systemd seem a bit complicated to me.)