Re: Android phone access in Dolphin does not work

Hello Ken and Gary --

ken wrote:

> On 01/24/2017 02:38 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
>> I'm running stretch/AMD64 and I'm having extreme problems accessing
my
>> Samsung S5 phone from my Plasma5 desktop.
>>
>> When I plug the phone in, I get the notification with 2 suggested
>> actions. They both read "Open with File Manager" but the first one
>> opens Dolphin with "camera:..." while the second opens Dolphin with
>> "mtp:..." in the location bar. When I actually try to navigate to the
>> folder with my photos, I get a notification on the phone telling me a
>> device is attempting mtp access... When I click "Allow", I get another
>> notification pop-up on my desktop with the same two options...
>>
>> When I actually try to access the photos, I frequently get "process
>> died" or "I/O error" messages, although sometimes I can actually see a
>> photo (not just the file names) - persistence pays off. Moreover the
>> phone will lock when connected, even if a file transfer is underway.
>> This kills the transfer.
>>
>> To make matters worse, I have photos and videos that I have taken
>> which show up in the Gallery on the phone and which I can view on the
>> phone and see when I remove the SD card and read it directly but which
>> don't show up in Dolphin.
>>
>> Clearly this is not the way the process is supposed to work. I can
>> understand the phone requesting a verification for the connection, but
>> everything on the desktop side seems wrong:
>> - the two actions should be distinguishable by their description,
>> - the process shouldn't die and if it does, it should relaunch,
>> - the connection should block the phone from locking if locking will
>> stop file transfers,
>> - there should be a record of the error in a log somewhere. As it is,
>> all I can find is a lot of systemd journal entries like "Jan 24
>> 14:01:33 transponder kernel: usb 4-5: usbfs: process 20598 (mtp.so)
>> did not claim interface 0 before use" which seem to occur before the
>> device is actually recognized.
>> - all the photos should show up
>
> It sounds like you want to offload files from your android.  For a few
> years now I've been using Software Data Cable to do this, free app, no
> cable needed.  Launch the app and it sets up an ftp server on the
> phone.  Then from my laptop I log in, navigate, up- and download files.
> When done, I shut down the ftp server on the phone.  Easy-squeezy.

Ken:  Thanks for the tip -- I'm going to give it a try,

Gary:  I'm using KDE Connect right now.  Install the app[1] on your phone (I
have an S4) and the software[2] on your computer (I'm using jessie, but I
see that there is a newer version available for stretch).  It works well and
is easy to use.

Robert

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp
[2] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/kdeconnect