Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Sat 12 Mar 2016 at 08:44:48 (+0100), jdd wrote:
> Le 11/03/2016 21:28, David Wright a écrit :
>
> >You must live in a different price bracket from me.
>
> nope. I had at least two HP5M for free ten years ago... they died
> recently.

Well, let's assume that most people buy their equipment rather than
being given it for free.

The HP5M is solely a printer which is fine as far as it goes, but now
I need to buy a scanner, and quite possibly a fax machine, as well.
AFAICT I'd have to use it through a parallel (or serial?) interface.
This laptop has neither. You can network it with 10Base-T for a price,
but no USB connection.

I can see a refurbished one on the web for $340 (if that's the right
model) which is far more than a new AiO.

> There are ps compatible printer for cheap for years now.

So you say, but I never seem to be able to find them in the shops.
And take a typical web site. Here are the categories to refine one's
search. Are people interested in whether a printer supports PDF directly?
No:

  • NARROW BY: clear all
  • 0 Type of Printer + - clear
      □ [ ] All-in-One (23)
      □ [ ] Single-Function (14)
      □ [ ] Wide/Large Format (8)
  • 0 Output Type + - clear
      □ [ ] Black & White (12)
      □ [ ] Color (33)
  • 0 Print Technology + - clear
      □ [ ] Inkjet (5)
      □ [ ] Laser (39)
  • 0 Duplex Printing + - clear
      □ [ ] Automatic (31)
      □ [ ] Manual (13)
  • 0 Wireless Ready + - clear
      □ [ ] Wired (10)
      □ [ ] Wireless (23)
      □ [ ] Wireless Optional (5)
  • 0 Printer Connectivity + - clear
      □ [ ] USB & Network Ready (19)
      □ [ ] USB & Wireless (3)
      □ [ ] USB, Wireless, Network Ready (21)
  • 0 B&W PPM + - clear
[...]
  • 0 Brand + - clear
[...]
  • 0 Printer Use + - clear
      □ [ ] Home & Photo (4)
      □ [ ] Small Business (25)
  • 0 Department + - clear
      □ [ ] Printers (54)
      □ [ ] Laser Printers (8)
[...]
  • 0 Photo Capable + - clear
      □ [ ] Not Photo (23)
      □ [ ] Photo (21)
  • 0 Rating + - clear
[...]
  • 0 Deals + - clear
      □ [ ] On Promotion (21)
  • 0 Environmental + - clear
      □ [ ] Eco certified (50)
      □ [ ] Eco conscious (5)
      □ [ ] Recycled (10)
  • 0 ShopRunner + - clear
      □ [ ] ShopRunner Eligible (50)
  • 0 Printer Condition + - clear
      □ [ ] New (41)
      □ [ ] Refurbished (4)
  • 0 Supertank + - clear
      □ [ ] Not Supertank (44)
  • 0 Mobile Capability + - clear
      □ [ ] No (26)
      □ [ ] Yes (17)
  • 0 Number of Users + - clear
[...]
  • 0 Auto Restock + - clear
      □ [ ] Auto Restock Eligible (31)
  • 0 Price + - clear
[...]

So the specs of each printer have to be found and examined.
Can you give me a few current examples of the species?

> for pdf, I only have seen this on news papers, but the subject
> computer being airprint compatible must have some inside device, and
> it's not cheap.

Ditto. Brian has tried to explain, but I don't completely follow his
explanation. Not being at the cutting edge of mobile phone technology,
I don't have any experience of trying to use it, even if I had an
AirPrint-supporting printer.

> I spoke of gutenprint because I have a Canon photo thermal printer
> that prints jpeg from cards,

This is what's common. Not PDFs. And many take a variety of
stick/cards. Hardly surprising: that's what's inside the
cameras. Thank goodness one's not limited to TWAIN. Ugh.

> but not from computer (!), so need a
> driver. It was not at this time available on linux, but gutenprint
> mailing list user asked me to make some tests and could with this
> give me a solution.
>
> the people there knows incredibly well the printers :-)

I'm sure they do. (However, they don't support my printer but luckily,
HP does.) But I don't understand the relationship between linux
printing and gutenprint. Actually I don't know much at all about
printing any more. I used to in the days of dot-matrix, having
happily written character definitions and code to rasterise and
print graphics.

Cheers,
David.