Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 20:11:51 (+0100), jdd wrote:
> Le 11/03/2016 19:39, David Wright a écrit :
>
> >It would seem odd to support PDF printing and be silent on the matter
> >in the printer's literature, eg www.printerbase.co.uk/spec/pdf/brother-mfcj5720dw.pdf
>
> says
>
> Supporting:
>
> JPEG, BMP, PDF, TIFF, PNG
>

> I read "PDF".

Yes, I too can read four strings "PDF". On page two they are under the
heading "Colour Scanner". On page three, they are (ambiguously) under
the section "PhotoCapture Centre" / "Scan to card". Lots of cheap
all-in-one scanners will do this. Their output files appear to be a
few lines of PDF wrapping an image, viz.

%PDF-1.3
% [4 non-ASCII chars snipped]
3 0 obj
<< /Type /XObject
/Subtype /Image
/Width 2480
/Height 3504
/BitsPerComponent 1
/Length 54844
/ColorSpace /DeviceGray
/Filter /CCITTFaxDecode
/DecodeParms
<< /K -1 /Rows 3504 /Columns 2480 /BlackIs1 false >>

stream

> It seems than most printers now support natively pdf to be able to
> print from card (without any interface) when they where supporting
> ps before.

You must live in a different price bracket from me. When I worked in
a university, all the (Apple) laser printers had genuine PS
interpreters inside. Nothing I've ever owned has. They all print
_JPEGs_ directly because that's what ordinary people want to print:
photographs, not office documents.

The printers which I've used since, those that can print raw PDF files,
can do that directly from a stick; they take paper from half a dozen
trays and put the output in little collated stacks. They also stand
on the floor!

Cheers,
David.