Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Friday 11 March 2016 12:50:32 Brian wrote:

> On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 15:30:13 +0100, Hans wrote:
> > as far as I know you need the packages from the Brother site. As
> > soon you got them installed, start a browser and go to
> > http://localhost:631
> >
> > Then there should a gui start, where you can configure your printer.
>
> This is exactly what the OP has said he wants to avoid doing.

As a happy user of two Brother printers, using Brothers drivers, the OP
should be well aware that he will spend weeks of time poking at just one
printer, to come up with a driver that does half of what the Brother
driver can do, and quite likely poorer, and slower than the Brother
driver. Principles I guess are nice when you step into the voting booth,
but not when following them on nothing more than a rumor he heard from
somebody with a bad taste for Brother, makes zero sense.  The ones I am
using Just Work(TM).

I am of the opinion that this thread has run its coarse as he has refused
to do the sensible thing here, and the refusal was stated up front.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)