Re: WiFi after initial install

On Wed 07 Dec 2016 at 07:28:24 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 03:10:41PM -0500, Henning Follmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 07:25:47PM +0000, Brian wrote:
>
> > > [Assessement of three options snipped].
> > >
> > > As a matter of interest - why was connman written out of the history?
> > >

> > Maybe it sound too much like "con man".
> > :)
> >
> > -H
>
> :)
>
> Well, there was that, but mostly oversight / human frailty -- the
> closest I can come to a justification is that you mentioned that
> systemd-networkd borrowed from it, and since I already know
> systemd-networkd to some extent...
>
> Nah, not very convincing to me either :)
>
> Would you suggest it has advantages that recommend it over the other options?

connman is a modular system with services for DHCP and caching name
resolution implemented as plugins. systemd-networkd does something
similar because it borrowed these bits from connman. This can make the
behaviour of both to appear quite snappy when booting or surfing. If
connman competes with anything it is probably NetworkManager, but it
does not appear to have gained any traction in the desktop world.

connman handles a wired connection completely automatically. Plug in
an ethernet cable and everything is set up (including a configuration
file) almost without your knowing. A WiFi connection requires three
instructions from connmanctl after scanning and, again, the config
file is written for you. For your relatively simple setup it would
seem to have a slight edge.

However, ifupdown is lightweight and on the system (as is s-n) and
easy to set up too in /etc/network/interfaces.

--
Brian.