Re: Advantages of Debian "backports" over "testing"?

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 03:25:17PM +0200, Martin T wrote:
> Dan,
>
> > On the other hand, upgrade your webserver to a backports version,
> > and the webserver has been compiled against the libs you already have.
>
> thanks! Is this also one of the reasons why not all packages in
> testing are available via backports? I mean I could imagine that there
> are packages which require some features which are provided only by
> libraries available for "testing" and thus the package can not be
> available via backports.

That, and the fact that it takes effort to backport things, it can
sometimes be quite hard, and the people doing it aren't getting paid to.
So the things that get backported tend to be the things that either the
package maintainer wants, or that there is a lot of demand (and hence a
high chance of appreciation) for.

Mark