Re: WiFi after initial install

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 12:28:24PM -0800, Seeker wrote:
> On 12/5/2016 12:00 PM, Seeker wrote:

Thanks all for the replies. Looking at the options suggested, it looks
like I have the following options:

1) systemd-networkd, it didn't provoke the vitriol I was half-expecting.

2) ifupdown -- this rings bells somewhere in the vaults of my memory,
but I will need to do a bit of googling to remember / learn how to set
it up. Isn't it a sysvinit thing though? Has it evolved comfortably into
the new world of systemd? (to be clear I don't have a strong position on
systemd vs sysvinit, but since Jessie the Debian default has migrated to
systemd and in the absence of a strong opinion I have elected to go
along with it)

3) NetworkManager -- not to start a flame war, but I've seen people on
this list essentially equate NetworkManager to the sperm of the devil,
so I was surprised a couple of people suggested it. I have no opinion
myself. I was labouring under the perhaps incorrect belief that
NetworkManager was a GNOME thing. I use GNOME on my Jessie box (and for
all I know it could be using NetworkManager, albeit it is wired not
wireless) but the machine I am dealing with here is running KDE.

Based on these I'll probably go with systemd-networkd as I have used it
before in recent memory, albeit outside Debian. But I'll read up on the
other two as well. Thanks all!

Mark