Re: WiFi after initial install

On 12/5/2016 7:31 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

All my past Debian experience of setting up WiFi is pre-systemd /
pre-stretch, and a long time in my past so I have forgotten more than I
ever knew :) Outside Debian, I've done it on LFS using systemd-networkd
-- I know that can be made to work but it doesn't seem very Debianesque
to me.

Any suggestions on what I should do to set this up?

TIA

Mark

If your past experience is doing the setup in '/etc/network/interfaces'

That has not changed. At least the way I do it has not changed.

I'm running Debian unstable, with resolvconf installed so I can put the DNS name servers in the iterfaces file. I use static IP addresses so my wireless config looks something like....

iface wlan0 inet static
     address X.X.X.X
     netmask X.X.X.X
     gateway X.X.X.X
     dns-nameservers X.X.X.X X.X.X.X
     wpa-ssid your_ssid
     wpa-psk Your_Wireless_Key

The only changes to my wireless configuration over the years have been due to interface name changes and at some point (probably when I switched from WEP to WPA) the wireless part went from

wireless-ssid
wireless-psk

wpa-ssid
wpa-psk

so for dhcp should be something like.

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
     wpa-ssid your_ssid
     wpa-psk Your_Wireless_Key

If you have a need or just personal desire for your wirless key to be stored in an encrypted format then you have to do some different configuration for the WPA stuff, which I have not dug into since the above solution works for my needs.

Later, Seeker