Re: Jessie upgrade without systemd [was: Debian *not very good]

Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:

> Sorry, I may not have been clear, I was saying that reinstalling to
> jump the 32/64 bit barrier has been the only significant upheaval in
> the progress of my server since sarge, and that reinstallation was like
> for like and therefore quite simple.
>
> If I have to reinstall the server with systemd from the beginning,
> because the upgrade is too difficult, then restoring its current
> functionality is likely to be significantly harder than the 32/64 bit
> change was. I will be migrating configurations between different Debian
> versions manually, at the same time as dealing with any systemd issues.
> I hope very much to avoid the need for that.

It really is hard to say. The upgrade can be painless, but there are
some services that have changed startup behaviour under systemd, and
they can get into some painful issues when reconfiguring. Mostly because
systemd handles dependencies differently from SysV init, and especially
because it does not blithely ignore failed dependencies.

You really are going to have to bite the bullet and build a test server.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.