Re: Debian *not very good

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 21:26:06 +0000 (UTC) Latincom <latincom@vcn.bc.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:31:54 +0000, Brian wrote:
>
> > On Fri 25 Nov 2016 at 15:21:23 +0000, oldbluebear wrote:
> >
> > [...Lots of disgruntlement snipped...]
> >
> >> How can I at this stage bring this machine back nearer to SySV?
> >
> > You can bring it back in all its glory with
> >
> >   apt-get install sysvinit-core
>
> Is there a step by step guide or How to on line?
> I have 1 Wheezy without Systemd, and i would like to upgrade it.
> Thanks.

If you do a normal dist-upgrade Wheezy to Jessie, sysvinit will be
replaced with systemd.  And probably screw everything up.. I suggest
you do what I did: a clean install of a terminal only Jessie system,
replace systemd with sysvinit, then build the system up from there.
Just remember GNOME3 has systemd as a dependency.  Other utilities do,
too. I used LXDE which doesn't to keep things simple.  I usually just
run a window manager Openbox and a single LXPanel, but that involves a
lot more configuration.  Too much for an initial test.

These links may help:

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/117634-gnu-linux-debian-without-systemd

There's a Debian wiki to replace systemd, but I couldn't find it this
time.  It was what I used initially for my test install of Jessie in
Virtualbox.