Debian *not very good

Hi, I am one disgruntled punter.

I have been using Debian since early 1990s. I use it to do useful work so any problem with the o/s is a pain in the butt. meaning I have to spend scarce time resolving bugs that should have been removed before it was released. -classic garage software I suppose- but not what I would expect from Debian.

I have just upgraded to 8. I did it reluctantly because every version of Debian has drifted further and further from the K&R UNIX model. Same with this version, only this time the thing (Debian 8) crashes one boot in 3.

The error message:"A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interface (xx sec/no limit)". Where xx is a count up in seconds that never ends. What is LBC ?

My fix is to hit hardware shutdown button which brings the machine gracefully down and reboot, this is still a time wasting activity as I must sit and watch the boot rather go on with the process of powering up the rest of my kit.

Why can you people not leave the interfaces etc alone rather than fiddle.

This time I find the current Debian as part of the install process has created a "Document" where it wants to save any .doc file. I do not want this, I want them on my Desktop from which I move them manually. How do I get rid of this action which I do not want, As I can see no simple way to revert to saving documents on my Desktop which is what I want; rather what some spotty faced kid has decided i should have.

I am at the point where I am now seriously going to look at what other Linux versions are available or maybe pull one of the earlier Debian Distro CDs I still have in my store and load that simply to get back an environment in which I can work.

For me 90% of the stuff now included in Debian Distro 8 is a waste of valuable disk space, and time installing it amd later backing it up.

All I need is a basic system, kernel, file system, including C compiler that understands standard white book C without frills, with standard /bin/sh for shell scripts. and Gimp for screenshot manipulation. So I can load on top of that "basic system" real Thunderbird, Firefox and pdf tools. Everything else is top hamper. Again I only need US English (and maybe UK English but can manage with just US only) the other languages again are clutter.

My desktop is green (eye safe) no pictures to gobble up CPU everything is stripped down so the AMD multi-core CPU is there to run my software not decorate the screen.

Why can yo not provide that, and then for those who choose it let them add all the gizmo stuff that eats CPU, rather than wishing that stuff on every installation.

Maybe I am just a crusty old guy who has been "playing" with the source code of UNIX (Destiny) and UNIX-like O/Ss for too long. But I am very unimpressed with my system as it now is; after performing the Debian 8 upgraded. And OK it is "free" but if it is unusable out the box, and I must take time fixing it, that is not what I would expect.

The upgrade ran fine, but Debian 8 broke my housekeeping shell scripts that have been running for the last 10+ years. [One set of scripts (now at revision 21) fires off via rc.local at boot-time. It Telnets into each of my modems and pull the ADSL line stats to a continuous log file; swapping log files every 12 hours. A second script grabs the last set of stats from the log file and throws them on screen 8; as a visual check the sampler is running, and for immediate info. All done with smoke and mirrors hi!].

How can I at this stage bring this machine back nearer to SySV?

What is LBC ? I am getting screens of stuff that no longer makes sense.

best 73s, (dja)  OldBlueBear