Re: Jessie upgrade without systemd [was: Debian *not very good]

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:02:50 +0100
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 03:57:53PM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > If you do a normal dist-upgrade Wheezy to Jessie, sysvinit will be
> > replaced with systemd.
>
> Not forcefully.
>
> > And probably screw everything up..
>
> Now this is an unnecessarily loaded statement. Given the smoking holes
> the last flame war has left[1], I'd tread carefully if I were you ;-)

A fair number of wheezy systems will be servers, upgraded many times.
Mine started out as sarge. What are the odds of such a system making the
change to systemd without problems?

I converted a sid to systemd, but had to give up on it as it became too
flaky, unstable in all senses of the word. A workstation isn't really a
problem to reinstall from scratch, an old server is a nightmare.

Obviously I had to do a reinstallation to move to 64 bits, but that was
a get-selections/set-selections job, with the old /etc pretty much
copied over. All the same software, just 64 bit, and more importantly,
all the old scripts. That's not going to work with a systemd-based
reinstall.

> If you want a straight upgrade without systemd, apt-pinning seems
> to be the agreed upon way:
>
>   https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
>
> Note that many things (Gnome, I'm looking at you) *require* systemd
> these days: it'll be much more difficult to avoid systemd if you
> want a "modern" desktop environment.
>
> Myself, I'm on Fvwm. I don't even need DBUS :-D

And my server doesn't have X. But I don't expect that to eliminate all
systemd problems.

--
Joe