Jessie upgrade without systemd [was: Debian *not very good]

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 03:57:53PM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 21:26:06 +0000 (UTC) Latincom <latincom@vcn.bc.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:31:54 +0000, Brian wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri 25 Nov 2016 at 15:21:23 +0000, oldbluebear wrote:
> > >
> > > [...Lots of disgruntlement snipped...]

> > > You can bring it back in all its glory with
> > >
> > >   apt-get install sysvinit-core
> >
> > Is there a step by step guide or How to on line?
> > I have 1 Wheezy without Systemd, and i would like to upgrade it.
> > Thanks.
>
> If you do a normal dist-upgrade Wheezy to Jessie, sysvinit will be
> replaced with systemd.

Not forcefully.

> And probably screw everything up..

Now this is an unnecessarily loaded statement. Given the smoking holes
the last flame war has left[1], I'd tread carefully if I were you ;-)

> I suggest
> you do what I did: a clean install of a terminal only Jessie system,
> replace systemd with sysvinit, then build the system up from there.
> Just remember GNOME3 has systemd as a dependency.  Other utilities do,
> too. I used LXDE which doesn't to keep things simple.  I usually just
> run a window manager Openbox and a single LXPanel, but that involves a
> lot more configuration.  Too much for an initial test.

While possible, this isn't really necessary. FWIW I managed a clean
Jessie upgrade without touching systemd, by just following the
instructions.

If you want a straight upgrade without systemd, apt-pinning seems
to be the agreed upon way:

  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system

Note that many things (Gnome, I'm looking at you) *require* systemd
these days: it'll be much more difficult to avoid systemd if you
want a "modern" desktop environment.

Myself, I'm on Fvwm. I don't even need DBUS :-D

thanks

[1] Sorry for the somewhat grumpy tone, but I'm pretty tired of people
   whining about systemd and borderline disrupting otherwise functional
   mailing lists with their rage. I strongly dislike systemd, yes, but
   i see no reason to hate systemd proponents let alone to harrass them.
   On the contrary, they are doing free software, FFS!

   If all that energy spent on foaming at the mouth and hatred had been
   spent on keeping viable alternatives to systemd afloat and running,
   we'd be in much better shape these days (and perhaps MikeeeUSA
   would have found other coattails to ride on).

- -- tomás