Re: Debian *not very good

On 11/25/2016 07:21 AM, oldbluebear wrote:
> Hi, I am one disgruntled punter. ...

I've been doing console/ server Debian since 1.5 and daily graphical
desktop since 5.  cdrtools was a problem.  systemd is worse.  I'm
currently on 7 and considering replacing Debian when Wheezy is retired.

You might want to complete the "Debian Contributors Survey 2016".  There
is a free-form comment box at the end where you can vent:

    http://debian.limequery.org/696747

My suggestion was for Debian to build Linux distributions tied to
specific long-term Linux kernel releases (3.2, 3.16, 4.4, etc.), each
with only enough content to provide a self-hosting Unix work-alike OS:

    https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

The idea is to limit the scope of Debian, and thereby provide a
programming systems product [1] that other projects can target --
programming languages, shells, router/ firewall packages, file servers,
database servers, web servers, mail servers, application servers,
terminal servers, X windows, window managers, desktops, office suites,
multimedia players/ editors, etc..  Let the users decide what to add to
their Debian systems.

Does anybody know if such a FOSS OS distribution already exists?

David

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month