Re: Debian *not very good

oldbluebear composed on 2016-11-25 15:21 (UTC):

I am at the point where I am now seriously going to look at what other
Linux versions are available or maybe pull one of the earlier Debian
Distro CDs I still have in my store and load that simply to get back an
environment in which I can work.
How can I at this stage bring this machine back nearer to SySV?

Maybe a do-over would make more sense. A look at these Debian-derived opportunities for simpler times might be worth your time:

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://exegnulinux.net/

Both offer Grub Legacy at least via option.

If you'd rather a pure Debian path initially resulting in the latter Desktop (TDE, a fork of KDE3), you could do a fresh Debian minimal installation with sysvinit-core, then add TDE sources and apt to it (minimal with TDE is what I do as a matter of course, allowing the systemd infection).

Addendum: more ways to get TDE on Debian than I knew:
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/LiveCDs

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/