Re: Invoking ddrescue

On Sat 12 Nov 2016 at 21:05:17 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On my left hand I have a defective hard disk - AKA /dev/sdc .
> On my right hand I have a partitioned device waiting for data - AKA
> /dev/sdb6 .

[...Snip...]

> How do I prepare to invoke
>    ddrescue /dev/sdc /mnt/repaired.img /mnt/repaired.log

1. This partition, /dev/sda6; is it formatted? If not. do

	mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda6

   The partition is now capable of holding files.

2. Mount the partition: mount /dev/sda6 /mnt

   The partition is now capable of receiving files.

3. Attach the defective hard disk to the machine which has the mounted
   partition after doing 'lsblk'. Do 'lsblk' again. Identify the name
   of the attached device, /dev/sdx. x=a, b, c etc.

4. Now: ddrescue /dev/sdx /mnt/repaired.img /mnt/repaired.log

--
Brian.