Re: dd - proper use or more suitable program

On 11/12/2016 12:26 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 12/11/2016 à 18:22, Richard Owlett a écrit :

ddrescue /dev/sda /mnt/defective_drive.img
/mnt/defective_drive.log
(...)
Can this be run as a user, or are root permissions required.

Unless the user has read permission on the raw device, it must be
run as root.

I have a STRONG suspicion that by "raw device" you refer to the defective device which is enumerated as /dev/sdc . *ALL* documentation and tutorials I found make a *MAJOR POINT* of *NOT* mounting the defective device. "Permissions" therefor are a murky issue. Point of fact, the specific physical defective object predates me having more than casual interest in *nix.

There's a reason I asked for "hand holding" and specifically asked for tolerance. In a "user to user" support enviroment ther is an expectation of querent doing his due diligence. I tried. I failed. M'aidez s'il vous plait.

My defective drive is /dev/sdc .
Partition /dev/sdb6 {formatted ext4} is much larger than the
defective
drive.
/dev/sdb is a 1 TB rotating platter drive connected via USB.
How do I mount it and run ddrescue?

Mount what ?

Whatever that needs to be mounted.
There *IS* a reason I explicitly stated that I needed an atypical amount of hand holding!

You don't mount anything from the defective drive.
You mount the filesystem which will receive the disk image file
anywhere you like with mount. In the above example it was
expected to be mounted on /mnt, the usual temporary mount point.
So :

mount /dev/sdb6 /mnt

The file manager of your desktop environment may have already
mounted it for you elsewhere in /media/. Check df or mount.

I've gone to lenghts to defeat Debian's attempts to out-M$ Wm Gates.
I predate the 8085 when it was acceptable manufacturing practice to cut/jumper etchs to "reprogram" 7400 series devices.

Tolerant help please.