Re: dd - proper use or more suitable program

Hi Richard,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:49:37AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I was considering using dd to copy the entire drive to a *SINGLE*
> partition of a 1 TB drive with the intention making a "byte perfect"
> of of the defective drive to a new 300 GB drive at a later time to
> then attempt "data rescue". Partitions other than the first are
> evidently readable.
>
> Suggestions/comments please.

You are better off using GNU ddrescue for taking images of
possibly-failing devices.

Amongst other issues, dd will either give up or produce zeroes when
it encounters problems whereas ddrescue will keep track of where it
was unable to read and keep trying.

Cheers,
Andy