Re: dd - proper use or more suitable program

On 11/12/2016 2:29 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 11/12/2016 1:31 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:
On 11/11/2016 10:38 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I was wondering about that.
https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html
is
not first time user friendly. Will re-read after a good night's
sleep. Will also look for appropriate tutorials. Suggestions?

Well, I would suggest not dumping the result on another partition
but rather into an image file. In that case you'd have the old
drive (not mounted), let's call it /dev/sda, and the new drive
with a partition on it and mounted on /mnt with sufficient free
disk space there.

In the simplest case you'd do:

ddrescue /dev/sda /mnt/defective_drive.img
/mnt/defective_drive.log

I can't get that performing correctly. I have a strong suspicion I'm even more confused about mounting than the group suspects :<

Can this be run as a user, or are root permissions required.

May I have a little hand-holding please?
My defective drive is /dev/sdc .
Partition /dev/sdb6 {formatted ext4} is much larger than the defective drive.
/dev/sdb is a 1 TB rotating platter drive connected via USB.
How do I mount it and run ddrescue?
I'm tired and likely going in circles. Need to get groceries, will be back soon.

Thank you for patience.