Re: EUREKA!!!! - was [Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION]

	Hi.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 23:49:17 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 29 Oct 2016 at 23:23:52 +0300, Reco wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 19:15:53 +0100
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I wish you had addressed the "equal exposure" question. Desktops are not
> > > the only environments in town. Leaving non-policykit users out in the
> > > cold is not an option.
> >
> > True, that does not look good at all. But why bother listing udisks2
> > which is using PolicyKit then?
>
> In the light of previous points I think there is a non-sequiteur in
> there somwhere.

Nope, it was only an observation.

> > > A page on pmount is a little harder because it is a moving target.
> >
> > I honestly lost you here. oldstable, stable, testing and even sid have
> > the same upstream version of pmount - 0.9.23, dated 2010.
>
> They do indeed. Six years. Do you get the feeling it is getting on for
> unmaintained. (And a wiki page with HAL on it! I ask you). But software
> changes. Then wiki pages change.

Why bother with feelings then you have packages.qa.debian.org?
It plainly states that:

The current maintainer is looking for someone who can take over
maintenance of this package.

I'm still don't get it how does it make pmount a 'moving target'. It's
the direct opposite of it IMO.

> > > Mounting and unmounting are not really a problem. Users and root can
> > > easily do these. But, as far as I can see, only someone with root
> > > privileges can use dd, cfdisk, fdisk and mkfs.vfat with a removable
> > > device. I'd like to be wrong.
> >
> > This is a common myth that I'll debunk gladly.
> >
> > Image copying (dd or any other tool) merely requires ability to write
> > to a block device. Such permissions on removable media should be
> > provided to any current console user by logind (or ConsoleKit if we
> > still need to think about wheezy), or a good old-fashioned
> > 'floppy' (any group name will do) group and a custom udev rule (as of
> > jessie).
> >
> > Creating any filesystem on a removable media's partition merely requires
> > the same.
>
> Since you wrote this, hundreds of people using GNOME have popped a USB
> stick into their machines and typed
>
>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<somewhere>
>
> Those who didn't get
>
>   dd: failed to open 'dev/<somewhere>'
>
> will be along soon to report success and explain why.

#788662, comment 28 to be precise. I'm too lazy to discover that secret
'D-Bus interfaces provided by udisks2' personally.

> The floppy group + a udev rule is a Wheezy thing. Not suitable for a
> wiki relating to a current Debian.

Just because it looks obsolete does not mean it does not work. Still,
if you need to do it FreeDesktop way, you'll need an udev rule like
this:

ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_BUS}=="usb", KERNEL=="sd*", TAG+="uaccess"

Reco