Re: EUREKA!!!! - was [Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION]

	Hi.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:16:18 -0400
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, October 29, 2016 05:17:30 AM Reco wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 18:34:10 -0500
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
> > > But it gave no useful info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > I dunno ;). Quoting the page, this:
> >
> > Installing GRUB on the USB Stick
> > Install pmount, udevil or udisks2 and use one of the following commands
> > to mount the primary partition. The mount point for pmount
> > is /media/ARCHIVE. ...
> >
> > pmount /dev/disk/by-label/ARCHIVE ARCHIVE
> >
> > seems like a useful info to me about mounting certain USB stick to a
> > directory with pmount.
>
> I'm not the OP or anybody that has participated in this thread so far.

[1] tells me otherwise, for the 'participation' part. I take it that
this e-mail I'm replying to is shared among several people, then?

> I'll say that the wiki page gave no hint as to which of the three options to
> install, or any hint that one might work better than another.

The page is describing 'Producing an automated install of a Debian
operating system from a USB stick', to quote it. For such an advanced
task it can be safely assumed IMO that the person who's implementing the
instruction is familiar with the basic concepts of a 'file system' or
'mounting'.

It can be argued (again IMO) that the 3 tools proposed are not the best
ones available for the task, or downright redundant due to availability
of mount(8), but all three mentioned tools are in fact are links to [2].
Broken ones (for me at least), but they are links to manpages for the
mentioned tools. Surely a manpage can be viewed as a suitable source of
hints you're referring to.

>  Of course,
> until this issue came up, no one may have expected one to work better than
> another, so then someone reading that page could, quite appropriately, try one
> and not the others, and assume that there was no more useful information on
> the page.

I agree that the page provides unnecessary choice in this regard, and
for the sake of clarity of this topic [3] would be more appropriate.

> Someone with a more experimental nature might have tried all three, but, like
> I hope I implied, why would anyone expect that to make a difference?

Different tools. Different programming languages to implement
them. Different dependencies for said tools. Surely all of them should
behave exact the same behavior (sarcasm implied).

> I guess maybe I'm doing the same thing some others seem to do--belaboring a
> point that maybe shouldn't have even come up as issue.
>
> If someone read the page and didn't find / recognize a key piece of information
> on that page, maybe the page could use a revision.

I believe you're missing the point here. The page in question is not
supposed to provide information on mounting anything as a *key piece*
in the first place due to very nature of the topic the page describes.

But since such information is in there for some reason, and it's
covering *both* mounting and unmounting in a compact enough form - it
can be used as an example for mounting and unmounting also.

Reco

[1]
[🔎] 201610260711.18646.rhkramer@gmail.com">https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] 201610260711.18646.rhkramer@gmail.com

[2] http://manpages.debian.org/