Re: EUREKA!!!! - was [Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION]

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 05:17:30 AM Reco wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 18:34:10 -0500
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> > But it gave no useful info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I dunno ;). Quoting the page, this:
>
> Installing GRUB on the USB Stick
> Install pmount, udevil or udisks2 and use one of the following commands
> to mount the primary partition. The mount point for pmount
> is /media/ARCHIVE. ...
>
> pmount /dev/disk/by-label/ARCHIVE ARCHIVE
>
> seems like a useful info to me about mounting certain USB stick to a
> directory with pmount.

I'm not the OP or anybody that has participated in this thread so far.

I don't know whether I want to comment or not.

I'll say that the wiki page gave no hint as to which of the three options to
install, or any hint that one might work better than another.  Of course,
until this issue came up, no one may have expected one to work better than
another, so then someone reading that page could, quite appropriately, try one
and not the others, and assume that there was no more useful information on
the page.

Someone with a more experimental nature might have tried all three, but, like
I hope I implied, why would anyone expect that to make a difference?

I guess maybe I'm doing the same thing some others seem to do--belaboring a
point that maybe shouldn't have even come up as issue.

If someone read the page and didn't find / recognize a key piece of information
on that page, maybe the page could use a revision.

If it was because no one previously recognized something (like that pmount,
udevil or udisks2 might each behave slightly different, and that, therefore,
one might work when another might not), that would seem like another reason to
consider a revision of the page.

To argue about the subject just makes the list seem unfriendly, to newbies as
well as "oldbies". ;-)