Re: Fwd: WiFi works during install, not after

On Wed 26 Oct 2016 at 21:03:22 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> On 10/26/2016 02:37 PM, Brian wrote:
> >Debian derivatives are one thing, a fork of Debian is another.
> >Personally, I draw the line at -user support for something which
> >has its own support channels.
> >
> Fair enough. I should mention that I got identical results installing
> Debian, then tried Devuan hoping it would work differently. It seems the
> Devuan developers haven't changed whatever package bungles this.

Your initial message was reasonably clear on what you had done:

 > If I copy over the firmware-realtek package, Debian can install
 > just fine over the WiFi connection. (I don't have wired internet
 > at my home.)

Do we assume you copied *firmware files* over to /lib on the installer?
This would fit the fact you got a WiFi connection.

 > After install, everything is fine, except I can't connect to the
 > WiFi. I know it's possible because the installer does it!

You installed the Xfce4 task. After rebooting, /etc/network/interfaces
will be empty (apart from a loopback entry). It is not copied over to
the new install because the task brings in networkmanager and this
should have been set up for you to give a WiFi connection. Any *useful*
bug report would include the relevant portion of the installer's syslog,
networkmanager's configuration and the state of the networking stack.

To have d-i's /e/n/i copied over you can boot the installer with

 netcfg/target_network_config=ifupdown

on its kernel command line. That would be as good a test for basic
networking as any.

 > Interestingly, the rtl8723au module is NOT loaded, and
 > "modprobe rtl8723au"fails with a message about the module
 > not being found, ........

By now you will be aware the module's name is r8723au. You also know
booting the machine loads the module and the chip's firmware. In
principle you should be able to set up a WiFi connection with your
chosen software.

--
Brian.