Re: Fwd: WiFi works during install, not after

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 13:15:24 -0400 Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/2016 12:48 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I've been following your problem.  Had something similar happen
> > years ago.
> >
> > Have you checked if you installed "Laptop Tools" which includes wifi
> > packages? They usually don't get installed automatically.
> >
> > Have you tried manually shutting down wifi and manually connecting?
> >
> > Try purging the firmwareware and reinstalling.
> >

> I just purged and reinstalled firmware-realtek. Now I get the syslog
> messages,
> Oct 26 13:08:38 devuan-nitpicking kernel: [  357.907437] rtl8723au:
                              ^^^^^^^^^
> Oct 26 13:08:38 devuan-nitpicking kernel: [  357.907503] rtl8723au
                             ^^^^^^^^^
> 2-1.7:1.2: firmware: direct-loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B.bin

Are you running Jessie or the Devuan no-systemd fork of it?  Are your
repositories Debian or Devuan ones?

> Still no connection, though.

Check if you have iwconfig and dhclient installed.  Use iwconfig in a
terminal to try to connect. .

> The only laptop tools in apt-cache search results are for
> laptop-mode-tools, which doesn't seem to apply. Could you clarify?

It's a selection during the install where you pick to install, for
example, the Base System, a desktop, various servers, etc.  It's
usually the last on the list and includes various packages useful on a
laptop like various wifi tools.

> I've tried configuring the network multiple ways with no success. Can
> you point me to instructions for the manual connection method you're
> describing?

'man iwconfig' should get you started.  Be sure to "man" the other tools
listed at the bottom.

> wicd-gtk detects all local networks (SSIDs) and whether they require
> encryption, but then still fails to connect to any of them.

I've never used it, but if it detects wireless broadcasts and fails to
connect, it's probably not the problem.  See if iwconfig works.