Subject: WiFi works during install, not after
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:09:06 -0400
From: Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com>
To: Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

So I have a ThinkPad Yoga 11s ultrabook.

If I copy over the firmware-realtek package, Debian can install just
fine over the WiFi connection. (I don't have wired internet at my home.)

After install, everything is fine, except I can't connect to the WiFi. I
know it's possible because the installer does it!

The wlan0 interface exists and is up, but "dhclient wlan0" ends up
assigning 169.169.254.8.192, which is not a routable address. As you
might expect, attempts to ping/connect to external systems via IP
address fail with "Destination host unreachable" and of course, DNS
lookups universally fail.

This ultrabook is supposed to have the rtl8723au chipset, which is a USB
802.11/Bluetooth chipset that for some reason Lenovo used in the laptop,
with an inside-the-case-only USB connection.

The firmware-realtek package is installed on the ultrabook.

Interestingly, the rtl8723au module is NOT loaded, and "modprobe
rtl8723au" fails with a message about the module not being found, even
though it's right there if I "locate rtl8723au", in the drivers/staging
directory. Maybe the staging area isn't used by default? I confess I
don't remember how to change the path that is searched for loadable modules.

Any insights would be most gratefully received.

--
Carl Fink
carl@finknetwork.com