Re: Fwd: WiFi works during install, not after

On 10/25/2016 12:48 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
I've been following your problem.  Had something similar happen years
ago.

Have you checked if you installed "Laptop Tools" which includes wifi
packages? They usually don't get installed automatically.

Have you tried manually shutting down wifi and manually connecting?

Try purging the firmwareware and reinstalling.

I just purged and reinstalled firmware-realtek. Now I get the syslog messages, Oct 26 13:08:38 devuan-nitpicking kernel: [ 357.907437] rtl8723au: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B.bin Oct 26 13:08:38 devuan-nitpicking kernel: [ 357.907503] rtl8723au 2-1.7:1.2: firmware: direct-loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B.bin

Still no connection, though.

The only laptop tools in apt-cache search results are for laptop-mode-tools, which doesn't seem to apply. Could you clarify?

I've tried configuring the network multiple ways with no success. Can you point me to instructions for the manual connection method you're describing?

wicd-gtk detects all local networks (SSIDs) and whether they require encryption, but then still fails to connect to any of them.

Appreciate the attempt to help.

Carl