Re: Typing Cyrillic script with a UK keyboard in an en-gb setting

On Sat 24 Sep 2016 at 15:07:10 +0000, davidson@freevolt.org wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> >My husband has just asked to do this.  His system is vanilla from this point
> >of view.  (Mine is in a mess, with a messed-up scim and no foreign
> >fonts "working", but that is another story.)
> >
> >Advice please on the best way to achieve this for him.  I.e., what do those of
> >you doing this or similar find works comfortably.
>
> This is what I use in my /etc/default/keyboard file:
>
>    $ grep '^[^#]' /etc/default/keyboard
>    XKBMODEL="pc101"
>    XKBLAYOUT="us,ru,sy"
>    XKBVARIANT=""
>    XKBOPTIONS="grp:caps_toggle,compose:menu"
>    BACKSPACE="guess"
>
> The "ru" portion of the XKBLAYOUT value, and the "grp:caps_toggle"
> setting in XKBOPTIONS are the relevant parts for your purposes.
>
> It makes capslock a toggle between en_US, russian, and syrian arabic
> keyboard layout.
>
> The usual capslock function is still available via Shift+Capslock.
>
> I'll be interested to see other responses.

Neat! Done as root, of course, because I do not think a user can change
the keymap. The setupcon manual implies a ~/.keyboard can be used but it
does not work for me.

However, a user can set the screen font by specifing a file to use with
VARIANT. This is ~/.console-setup.CYR:

  ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
  CHARMAP="UTF-8"
  CODESET="CyrSlav"