Re: jessie install cd no network

Javier Marcon wrote:
> Hello, I downloaded the Jessie install cd and added a preseed file to
> automatically install some packages, but running the install cd does not
> recognize the realtek network cards, telling me that no network hardware
> was detected.

They probably need "non-free" drivers, which goes against how Debian
does things.  I ran into this with an intel WLAN card.  Just had the
driver *deb on a USB key that I installed once the system was running.

> If I install it in a Virtualbox machine (with a phisical disk mapped)
> and then I boot with that disk, the network cards work perfectly.

vbox emulates some rather "old" network cards (e.g. the intel
single-port gbit NICs that have been around since 2000 or so).  As I
recall, those cards have been in the kernel since the early 3.x releases
(if not 2.x), so Debian doesn't run into any "non-free" kernel module
issues.

--
Registered Linux user #585947
Github: https://github.com/dpurgert