Exim and hostname --fqdn, was Re: mutt attachment error

On Thu 12 May 2016 at 11:33:10 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Wed 11 May 2016 at 14:51:31 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > > No, that won't work. You cannot just put stuff into
> > > /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and hope it will make it into the
> > > configuration.
> >
> > Yes, I chose the wrong file. Hope doesn't come into it:
> > dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config   sees to that.
> >
> > I think it's quite unusual for there not to be any stub file provided
> > by Debian. In fact, it'd be quite useful in this case as
> > /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.localmacros could reiterate the fact that it's
> > only for unsplit configuration, and
> > /etc/exim4/conf.d/main000_localmacros could ditto for split.
>
> That idea might be worth floating at

> (Coincidence: the May 2016 Archives have a discussion on the same topic
> as this thread).

That is a pretty remarkable coincidence. And a further cause to have
stub files, with a warning about the terminating newline while their
script is broken. (crontab suffers from the same problem. A correct
way to write such a script is demonstrated by /etc/init.d/kmod's
reading of /etc/modules. I always add a blank comment line to my
configuration files anyway.)

> > BTW when will   dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config   either stop saying
> > "hostname --fqdn did not return a fully qualified name, dc_minimaldns will not
> > work. Please fix your /etc/hosts setup." or suggest a reasonable fix?
> > Or IOW, why has bug #504427 never even received acknowledgment?
>
> It will stop, I suppose, when the user has a correct 127.0.1.1 line in
> /etc/hosts.

That just begs the question as to what is correct. Refer to:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution
and check mine over:

$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat
gshadow:        files

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
$ cat /etc/host.conf
multi on
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.1.1
$  cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       alum
192.168.1.1     router

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
$ cat /etc/hostname
alum
$

All my hosts are set up the same way. /etc/hosts has shrunk somewhat
since reading https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/03/msg01291.html
Note that the router does not resolve DNS queries even though it runs
the dhcp server; it just passes them on to the Internet.

On the broken-wifi laptop that uses a USD dongle, there's no
perceptible delay whether or not the dongle is plugged in when exim
starts up. So I've never been sure which part of dc_minimaldns='true'
doesn't work.

> It's impossible to answer your final question. Maybe the maintainers and
> other readers of the report were busy.

Cheers,
David.