Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Thu 31 Mar 2016 at 13:27:35 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Thursday 31 March 2016 12:28:57 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > 1. Each computer should have an SSH server running (on Debian that would
> >    be package openssh-server: in Debian it has priority "optional": I'd
> >    double-check that it's installed)
>
> It is installed.  How do I check that it is running?

Use 'ssh user@somewhere'. 'Connection refused' is a good indication
there is no ssh server on port 22.

> Previously (under Wheezy) using Fish, I have been getting the first part of
> the message and asked if I want to accept the new identification.  Fish
> presumably then edited the file.  So I need static IPs fast!  or a hosts
> file?  I have some learning to do.  Static IPs I have no problem over, I just

The IP and host in /etc/hosts is fine. Alternatively, with avahi-daemon
on the machines you would do 'ssh someone@eros.local'. Use with static
or dynamic IPs and not have the bother of maintaining a hosts file.