Re: mutt attachment error

On Tue 10 May 2016 at 11:07:47 (-0400), Haines Brown wrote:
> I tried to use mutt to send someone a zip file of about 50 Mb and got
> the error: "Error sending message, child exited 1 (). Could not send
> message."
>
> I assumed the attachment was too large and so went to
> /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/02*/ and altered the configuration to be:
>
>   # Message size limit. The default (used when MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT
>   # is unset) is 50 MB
>   .ifdef MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT
>   # message_size_limit = MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT # I commented this line
>   message_size_limit = 200 MB               # I added this line
>   .endif
>
> I restarted exim, but it had no effect.

Isn't the Debian way to put

MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT=foo

into /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and then run
# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

where foo should be, perhaps, 200M or why not just
200000000

You've obviously remembered the overhead for mime.
Pity your ISP! If your someone runs linux, you might try
man split.

Cheers,
David.