Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

For those who might be interested ...

2016/01/23 9:27 "Joel Rees" <joel.rees@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 7:15 AM, jdd <jdd@dodin.org> wrote:
> > Le 22/01/2016 17:34, Alberto Salvia Novella a écrit :
> >>
> >> libre hardware.
> >
> > that's far from new
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.en.html
> >
> > I remember efforts done to have free cpu, but I don't think significant
> > result have been achieved
> >
> > I guess the better step is
> >
> > http://www.excamera.com/files/j1.pdf
>
> Oh, dear, another FORTH nut.
>
> :)
>
> > but I couldn't find the license for this work
> >
> > jdd
> >

> Well, in the pdf for his Euroforth 2010 presentation on his J1
> processor, he asserts the BSD license.
>
> I assume he means BSD template, unless he works for UC Berkeley.
> Judging from the license in his git repository for SWAPFORTH, it
> appears that he does mean BSD template.
>
> I'll have to see if I can contact him, since I'm another FORTH nut, myself.

I contacted James Bowman, and he said the swapforth repository,

    https://github.com/jamesbowman/swapforth/

is the active repository for his work, including j1.

FWIW.

> It looks like the development tools for his processors run on Debian.
> Maybe they'll also run on openbsd.
>
> (To make the relevance to the thread explicit, some of the stuff on
> Bowman's site, which jdd linked to above, includes examples of a Forth
> processor being used as a graphics processor (8 bit). This stuff
> really isn't rocket science, guys, no matter how much Intel wants us
> to believe it's ever too hard for ordinary people like us to even
> bother trying to understand.)
>
> Thanks for the link.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,