Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

Zlatan Todoric:
> Why just not open source it an be done with it.

Because they need to support old machines that require an unchanged kernel.

Zlatan Todoric:
> It currently needs closed source firmware to run 3D.

Not firmware, but microcode. It is just how the instruction set is handled in the processor, and it is kept confidential because that would reveal the hardware design that otherwise would be hard wired.

Even when it would be better libre it cannot restrict how you use your computer, be infected by malware, or have a back-door.