lightdm/xfce4, lost my window manager and my panels and some session state

Several days back, after a late night session when I was asleep at the
keyboard by the time I logged at, xfwm4 quit starting up after logging
in from lightdm (which is my default dm).

There were no title bars and no trim. I could right-click on the
desktop and get the applications menu and start applications from
that, but I couldn't get keyboard focus into a terminal window to run
any commands from the command line.

Logging in on a virtual console (ctl-alt-Fn), I could check

    ps wwaux | grep xf

and see that the window manager, xfwm4, did not show up. I could

    startx

from there and the window manager and panels would be in place,
without memory of any of my session state. Logging out of x11 there,
and logging back out and back in through lightdm, there was no change
for the lightdm managed login. No title bars, no panels, most of my
session stuff still gone.

>From the application menu's "Run Program" (or whatever it is in
English) item, I was able to use the

    xfwm4 --replace &

command and get the window manager and title bars back. Logging out
and in, my window manage was back, but not my panels.

Running

    xfce4-panel

from a terminal window, I got my panels back and those persisted
through logging out and in, as well.

Still missing most of my workspace session state, and what is left is
all collected into a single workspace.

Well, all my workspaces were way cluttered, and it was probably time
to clean up anyway.

:-P

Would be interested in any suggestions about why that might have
happened (ergo, about what my fingers might have typed/moused while I
was not at home upstairs).

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html