Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:12:09 -0500 Francis Gerund <ranrund@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, Jochen.
>
> 1) You are correct. It should have been:
>
> >Then, I did:
>
> >sudo apt-get check
> >sudo apt-get update
> >sudo apt-get upgrade
> >sudo clean
> >sudo autoclean
> >sudo autoremove
>
> My mistake.  Sorry.
>

> 2)  Run dist-upgrades?  No one mentioned that (to me), and I did not
> know anything about that.
>
> Hopefully I can find some information on that.
>
> I thought that once I upgraded to testing, I would be much like stable
> - just generally sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, and check,
> clean, autoclean, and autoremove from time to time.

You should be running dist-upgrades in stable. apt-get upgrade only
gets new package versions, leaving out upgrades which require new
packages, old packages to be removed, dependency changes, etc.
dist-upgrade is necessary if you want all the latest updates.

Just do a quick

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean

from time to time.

> 3) No, I don't want to make it easy to break my system, but I do
> want/need to track testing.  Stable is just too stale.
>
> I don't feel like testing, unstable, etc.  should be only for the
> nobles, and denied to the mere peasants (like me).

Somehow I, a Debian peasant (and I am neither a UNIX veteran nor a
sysop or anything), have been able to figure out how to use testing
very easily, and have done so on several occasions in the past.

Editing /etc/apt/sources.list and replacing 'stable' with 'testing' is
not some mythical feat which only the gods are capable of.

> I have read/heard all the warnings about system breakage.  I do back
> up my data.  And I can reinstall if necessary.
>
> I have begun to suspect that the Debian "powers that be" deliberately
> don't make upgrading to testing/unstable/experimental clear and easy,
> in order to discourage people from doing it.  Speculating upon the
> reasons that might be is left as an exercise for the reader . . .

It's pretty clear, actually. No speculation required. Running testing,
and especially unstable, can be extremely dangerous for someone not
prepared. For those who are, editing an /etc/apt/sources.list should
not be a problem.

Also, top-posting.