Re: eagle-lin64-7.5.0.run, won't

On Saturday 16 January 2016 19:41:45 Joe wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 12:13:14 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > But as I said in a PM, its moot, gEDA has come to the rescue.
> >
> > Now, if ALL the gEDA suite was brought up to date, the repo versions
> > are positively ancient, I think it would have been easier. I was
> > able to build the latest pcb, V-1.99z, but dependency hell ate any
> > attempts to build the newer schematic capture front ends.  So I had
> > to resort to a hand edit occasionally with a text editor.
>
> What features of the latest and greatest do you need? I haven't used
> anything in 20140316 that wasn't in 20110918, and I don't recall any
> significant bugs then. This:
>
> http://www.jre-systems.co.uk/pcbs/images/RCP-1.png
> http://minibroadcastcameras.co.uk/oem/images/slideshow/Panel52-top.png
>
> was created in late 2007, with whatever version was current at the
> time. To be fair, I didn't use schematic capture then, I didn't have a
> schematic for this board until after I made it, and to this day the
> schematic is hand-drawn in pencil...
>
> I have used schematic capture (gschem and gsch2pcb) for everything
> since 2007, with no significant problems. I've used whatever version
> was current in sid.

Bugs in the gcode exporter are my main beefs. In the gcode output for
bottom.ngc, with spot drilling enabled, it outputs a line for each of
the holes, but fills the first 6 of those lines with X0 Y0, so it pecks
at the lower right corner 6 times, and then spots the rest of the holes
just fine.

Then, in the mill/drill file, it ignored the request for inches, outputs
mm's, including the command that puts the LCNC interpretor into the mm's
mode. But then when I check the file times, it was not even regenerated
that last time I exported the gcode.  So theres 4 bugs, the 4th one
being that the gcode exporter fills everything in the boxes for its data
translations, in with what I have to assume is mm data for everything
that ought to be inches.

But this is stuff I should take to the geda-user list, which I just sent
a sub message to join. I do not for a millisecond, think this is a
debian problem.

> The autorouter has probably improved, but if you're doing anything
> with power, you won't want to autoroute anyway. I pretty well only use
> two-layer boards, and the last time I tried the autorouter, I could
> barely see the tracks for vias. The earlier versions couldn't do a
> photo-realistic rendering of the board, but that's only a bit of icing
> on the cake, not a show-stopper.

I clicked on it, several times after I had arranged things by hand, and
it never did a thing except waste 1.5 seconds spinning its wheels.

Now, to put this almost back on topic, the first $80 bytes of the
bin/eagle file are:  Humm, so much for that, khexedit will not do a
mouse copy/paste.  Luverly.  Anyway it does say ELF in the first 5 or 6
bytes. Looks like a linux ext-something file to me.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)